You have done all the leg work. You scoured the web, compared different card offers, analyzed your spending, and finally decided on what credit card you need. You’re excited to get your new credit card and start earning those rewards, but there’s no word on whether you’re approved or not.
Everywhere you looked, you saw something like “get approved in minutes” or “apply and you could be approved today” but you weren’t.
Don’t worry, that doesn’t mean you won’t be. It can take some credit cards a month to review and approve your application. However, if you are anxious and want to see where your application is at you can check the status of your application using one of the options below:
Issuer - Phone Number to Call - Ability to Check Online?
- American Express - (800) 567-1083 - Yes
- Bank of America - (800) 732-9194 - Yes
- Capital One - (877) 277-5901 - No
- Chase - (800) 432-3117 - No
- Citibank - (888) 201-4523 - Yes
- Discover - (800) 347-2683 - Yes
- Wells Fargo - (800) 967-9521 - Yes
Every issuer has different criteria for being approved. This means that timing can vary for each application. If it takes longer than expected, don't worry. If you don't get approved, there are some additional steps you can take to try to change the outcome:
- You can ask for the credit card to reconsider your application.
- You can explore your options to get the spending power you need through a personal loan.
- Or you could work on improving your credit score to increase your likelihood of being approved.
Seeing your application is pending and wasn’t “approved in minutes” can be stressful. Just remember to breathe, both the issuer and CompareCredit is here to help. So, start by checking the status of the application, and then use some of our tools to help you decide how to go from there.
As Seen In
Trust & Secure